Interested in photography?
Ever wondered how much your digital photos would improve if you switched off the Automatic setting, but find yourself bewildered by all those numbers and menus? Like to get consistently good results from your digital camera? How would you like to start making beautiful, eye-catching images, instead of just taking snapshots and hoping for the best?
Spend a few hours, or a day – or two – with award-winning photographer Nick Gleitzman and learn how to turn those ordinary family snaps and holiday photos into memorable images you’ll be proud to share online and display in your home or office.
Even if you’re already a practiced photographer, Nick can help you take your image-making to the next level. You’ll learn so much from his forty years of experience that you’ll be surprised how your work can improve in just one day.
Whether in a group session or as a one-on-one student, Nick’s tuition is tailored exactly to your current ability.
Nick does his best to run a series of group workshops at least twice a year, subject to availablity in his business schedule. Group workshops are offered at Beginner and Intermediate levels, and are comprised of two full days tuition, usually a week apart:
- Day 1 for Beginners covers camera controls, settings and techniques, and will ensure that you know how to get the best result every time you push the shutter button. For Intermediate photographers, more advanced techniques of shutter speed and aperture selection, exposure compensation, and contrast and backlight control are introduced.
- Day 2 is dedicated to post-processing. While it’s perfectly valid to elect to let your camera process your images (the aim of Day 1 is for you to get the best possible results from just that), the real power of digital photography as a creative tool is in the ability to use software as a ‘digital darkroom’. For Beginners, the day is an introduction to the basic concepts of editing digital photos to really bring them to life. For Intermediates, the emphasis is on the power of Raw files and why they’re so superior to jpegs for creative editing, and good practices to establish an efficient and productive digital workflow.
Group workshops are structured in this way so that you can get the most out your time with Nick. He realises that not everyone can, or wants to, commit to the additional time that post-processing takes; for them, Day 1 is more than enough to improve their image-making. Conversely, some people might be proficient with the camera, but lack the knowledge of or practice with software to be able to harness the full creative potential of digital photography. For them, Day 2 may be just the right thing to get them moving forward.
The choice is yours: either day, or both. Nick is always happy to have a chat with you to help you decide what’s best for you; just use the Comments section in the Registration Form below.
Nick understands that commitments to work and family often make it difficult to match your availability to the dates of the group workshops. He also realises that some people would like the added benefits of his undivided attention, so he’s now offering one-on-one tuition for those that prefer an even more personal approach.
The benefits include:
- More flexibility with dates: receive your tuition when you’d like to (subject to Nick’s availability, of course – he is a working professional, after all).
- More flexibility with location: Nick is happy to come to your home. Learn on your own computer and software.
- More flexibility with time: One-on-one tuition can be for as little as two hours, or as long as a whole day – or longer!
- More flexibility with content: Nick’s undivided attention means you can receive his expert tuition on the exact aspects of photography or digital imaging that you’d most like to learn.
- More economical: You’ll probably learn as much, if not more, in a single day as you would in a whole 2-day group workshop.
If you’re interested in some top-quality personal tuition, please use the Registration Form to let Nick know, and he’ll get right back in touch with you.
If you’d like to join Nick for a day, or two, and take your photography to the next level, let us know by filling out the form below. We'll add you to our mailing list and email you when the full details of the next series of group workshops are announced.
If you’re interested in one-on-one tuition, please indicate your preference below, and Nick will get back in touch with you straight away.
- Important information
- For group workshops, the theory and post-processing sessions are held in Nick’s studioin Discovery Bay; the outdoor photography sessions are held in DBay itself, Nim Shue Wan, and/or Peng Chau.
- All workshops are conducted in English. To get the most out of the weekend, it’s important that you’re fluent in this language.
- Workshop attendees should be aged 18 or above. Registrations from persons aged below 18 will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please indicate in the Special Needs field below if you are under 18.
- All workshops are staged in small groups for the maximum impact of Nick’s tuition, so PLACES ARE LIMITED.
- Individual tuition is available on an hourly basis, with a minimum booking of two hours.
- We reserve the right to cancel or postpone workshops if the number of registrants is below a practical minimum, or in the event of persistent heavy rain or the hoisting of the No. 8 Typhoon Warning Signal.
- In the event of cancellation or postponement, you will be entitled to a full refund of the workshop fee, or you may choose to attend the workshop on an alternative date.